The eye is a vital and delicate organ in the body.
With it, we see colors, read, easily find our way, and enjoy the beautiful scenery nature has to offer.
But if we fail to care for our eyes, there is a high tendency that we’ll develop eye defects.
Or, in the worst scenario, lose our sight.
How terrible that would be! You don’t want that, do you?
To prevent this from happening, get settled with these 10 ways to take care of your eyes.
It will stem from the tiniest to the most important ones.
10 Simple Ways to Take Care of Your Eyes
Make Use of Sunglasses
Our eyes are at risk of having defects when we regularly expose them to ultraviolet rays.
These defects include macular degeneration and photokeratitis.
Sunglasses protect the eyes from ultraviolet rays.
- • If you have no sunglasses, get one.
- • Always make sure your sunglasses are with you before you leave home.
- • Bigger sunglasses provide much coverage from ultraviolet rays.
Ultraviolet rays are also emitted on a cloudy day.
So, it is advisable to wear them not only on sunny days but also on cloudy days.
Use goggles When Swimming.
No swimming pool is 100% free from contaminants, even though they have been disinfected.
Many harmful substances like urine, sweat, hair, feces, etc. can be found in it.
Well, as one of the 10 ways to take care of your eyes, let’s see what you can do when swimming.
- Choose a pair that is easy for you to wear.
- Only wear goggles that are well fitted to prevent water from entering.
Avoid Excessive Rubbing of the Eyes
No doubt, we have all experienced an itchy sensation in our eyes.
To relieve ourselves from that sensation, we use our hands to rub our eyes.
But, rubbing our eyes with unclean hands increases the risk of having conjunctivitis.
Also, rubbing the eyes frequently can cause a slight tear in the cornea.
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes frequently.
- Visit an ophthalmologist if you continuously experience an itchy sensation in your eye.
Also Read on 10 Popular Rumors and facts about the Eyes
Protect Your Eyes From Screens
Screens hunt the entire world; it is everywhere we go.
At work, we use computers;
At home, we watch the television, and in our leisure time, we play around with our phones.
Guess what all these things have in common; I’ll tell you, “screens.”
Excessive exposure to screens can lead to eye strain, blurred vision, heavy eyes, and headaches.
Because screens emit UV rays.
•When sitting, your sight must be slightly higher than the monitor to avoid direct contact with the rays coming from the screen.
- Remember to blink at intervals to avoid having dry eyes.
- Activate eye care mode on the phone when using it.
- Always remember to turn your eyes away from the screen every 20 min.
Regularly See an Ophthalmologist/Eye Doctor
It is to your advantage if you regularly visit an Ophthalmologist.
They can help in detecting eye defects earlier if present.
An extensive eye checkup will help identify issues like diabetes, elevated cholesterol, glaucoma, and macular degeneration.
- Visit an eye doctor every two to four years, even though you are not experiencing problems in your eye.
- Constant headaches can also be a sign that you might have an eye defect or disease.
- Visit an eye doctor if you always feel pain in your eyes. The feeling of pain in the eye is a symptom of glaucoma.
Research has shown that regular exercise reduces the risk of having eye problems.
For example, reduced risks from macular degeneration, glaucoma, and cataracts.
- You can engage yourself in aerobic exercises like jogging, walking, and skipping.
- Always begin exercise at a slow and steady intensity.
- Exercise at least three times weekly.
- You can join an exercise group for motivation and protection.
- Maintain your exercise routine.
Sleep Well, Really Well
Finally on the 10 ways to take care of your eyes is this point siting elegantly!
Research has shown that inadequate sleep can cause the blood vessels in your eyes to pop.
In addition to that, the lack of sufficient rest can also lead to dryness in the eye.
- Sleep whenever you’re fatigued.
- Sleep for at least five hours.
Also Check How to Break the Cycle of Waking up in the Middle of the Night
Last week, I was discussing with a friend regarding how vital the eye is.
We both realized that losing one’s sight is indeed a brutal and sad situation.
A sane person wouldn’t wish that his enemy should lose his sight.
We don’t want to lose our sight.
But mind you, it can happen! Shocking, huh? You can prevent it!
Having considered all these 10 ways to care for your eyes;
Bear in mind that all the points listed above are for you!
I’d love to see you apply them. We should take precautions now to avoid regrets.
I love you! If you find this blog helpful, please keep visiting.
In our next post, we will highlight some myths about the eye that have gone viral.
And we will reveal the facts behind each myth. Stay tuned!
1 thought on “10 Ways to Take care of Your Eyes: Avoid Future Regrets”